Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Dear future self:

I need to remember what it's like to be a medical student when I finally finish my training, the attendings really must not remember. It is so exhausting, physically, mentally, and emotionally, to constantly be the member of your team that is lowest in social standing, intelligence, and ability. I'm rotating through specialty clinics, and man is it humbling.

Notes to future me, Part 1:

1. Your medical students Do. Not. Care. about your fancy personal hobbies or your adorable shnuckum offspring. However, because you are responsible for our grades we will agonizingly pretend to, despite having 3 notes left to finish from this morning's clinic (knowing it means we'll be staying till 7 or 8 that evening, while you trot off at 5pm to co-sign our notes at your leisure)... AHHH stop it already! Also stop. Also I'm not sad that you are having difficulty finding good storage facilities for your boat.

2. Stop interrupting my presentations every other sentence. I have trouble keeping track of the 50 things a patient has just thrown at me in a completely disorganized fashion and have worked hard to present in a logical and clear way.

3. Remember all the completely dumb dumb dumb stuff you said when you were a 3rd year. Then remember how awful you felt for the rest of the day agonizing over it.

4. Your med student is not impressed by standoff-ish arrogant attitudes. We don't think you are smart because you intimidate people. News: I've worked with a bunch of really brilliant physician teachers by this point in my training, and I have worked with doctors I respect and want to be like who are super nice to me. You being a jerk just makes me hate you.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds challenging, I admire med students so much! You guys are legends of rockstar status

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was being whiny in this post! And am nowhere near rockstar status, just ask my current attending ;)
      Thank you for your note though, it made me smile

      Delete