Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ride on

Kicked the test on Thursday's butt.  That was neat.  But, my favorite part of last week was my lesson on Saturday!  I just had so much fun - Luke was really forward and was Right there when I asked with the leg (this lead to me letting him run away a bit though and reminders from trainer to keep things rhythmic).  Canter work was pretty good for us, that is we had the correct lead each time and generally got into it within a few strides (low standards here, people).  A few minor frolics occurred, as is generally the norm for our cantering as we get warmed up (again with the low standards) one of which resulted in a lost stirrup for me and the requisite shouts from the center to SIT UP SIT BACK in response to my reflex hunched shoulders and grasping of mane.  Did manage to sit up and back despite instincts pressing me the other direction, and Luke was saintly and didn't take advantage of my poor equitation.  In typical advanced rider fashion, trainer is rather blasé about these moments and simply sends us back off to the rail to try again.  This, I think, is part of what makes trainer such a good fit for me. 

Should I be worried about that shadow??
 
I feel like I'm a fairly neurotic and high-strung person (a la most med students), so having someone on the ground who's so relaxed about these moments when I struggle helps Me to be more relaxed.  Actually, I feel like he treats me exactly as one might treat a high-strung and spooky horse - lots of new instructions to make me concentrate if I start to look nervous and a super relaxed chilly manner to encourage me.  I constantly overthink things, he tells me to just Sit Up and RIDE FORWARD.  He doesn't baby me, which I think would just make me realize oh yes maybe that does sound scary or hmm maybe that Is something to consider/worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment