Monday, September 9, 2013

Well, that escalated quickly.

M2 year has begun, just starting week 3 now and holy batman they aren't kidding around this semester.  We have four courses, two of which are absolutely giant and soul crushing (pathology and pharmacology - but don't worry the slightly more manageable clinical practices and infectious disease courses are still beasties in their own right). 



I'm trying out a new system for the big courses, using a 'smart' flashcard program called Anki.  You make cards like any old flashcard system but it sets up quizzes and reviews of the cards based on how you rate the ease of answer (easy, had to think, forgot) as you flip through them.  The web version is free but there's a fee to download onto smartphones.  I think it's helping, I've never been a flashcard person before but I'm hearing they are imperative for the big gun classes.  I guess we'll see come exam time (first one this Thursday, then non-stop once per week till the end of the semester... yayyyy)

I was able to lease a very kind older gentleman horse over the summer from a friend at trainer's barn, it was very reaffirming and just good for my confidence.  He is a schoolie and as long as you do the right things up top (ie don't pinch him with my knees!) he just opens up and powers along.  When I took lessons I was still able to ride our friend Luke, which of course kept me plenty humble.

Kinda the worst picture ever, but shows the sweetest most darling gentleman horse.


Oh yes - and I got married this summer!   Yayyy!
 
 
Since med school started back up I've ridden twice.  Sad face.  I was supposed to have a lesson this past weekend but when I showed up trainer had forgotten and was 2 hours away picking up a horse from the vet clinic!  After a super stressful first two weeks of school frankly I was unreasonably sad about this, #whitewhine.
However, I will be more sad, and reasonably so, if I don't finish getting through all these notes for the exam on Thursday.  Byeeeeeeee
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment